Thursday, February 15, 2007

Observation 1 (Feb. 15, 2007)

Since there was a two hour delay (and a school closing the previous day), I expected the students of Ms. M's class to be riled, talkative, and loud. After an unexpected break of freedom, I always found it difficult to get back into the groove of school. However, what Linda and I found was the most well behaved second grade class a teacher could ever hope for. After a happy chorus of "Oh, Linda and Gloria! You're back!", the students quietly did their work. It was as if 10:30 am was really 8:30 am. I was very surprised at how easily Ms. M and her students adjusted to the delay. I wonder if it is because their class is so well managed. From our previous experience with the class last semester, it was obvious that there was a set routine that all the students expected and followed.

Linda and I did note some changes by Ms. M to make up for the lost time. Famous Americans content was combined with Language Arts by way of individual writing work during guided reading groups. Whole group work with open-court was also shortened. Snack time was cut out since lunch was so near to the start of school. Speaking with Ms. M about teaching a unit was done inbetween guided reading chapters for one of her groups. I realized after witnessing all of this, that while a day off or a shorter day may be fun as a student, a teacher in may bfind it to be more stressful than carefree.

Though it seemed that the classroom and students had hardly changed at all at first, more differences were noticed throughout the observation. There were new books black board where books are displayed. The class was deeply engrossed in Ancient China from the look of the displays, books, and worksheets found throughout the classroom. Magnets were a thing of the past: studied, mastered, finished. It was all about fossils and paleontology now. The reading fluency of the students had also improved a lot since last semester. It reminded me of the "incredible gains" (learned in Reading Development) that second graders make during the year, according to Words Their Way. The students were also doing research (about Famous Americans) and longer writing than last semester. A part of me wishes that I could have seen the growth first hand.

On a more fun note, the students finished making their Valentine's Day envelopes. After a discussion by Ms. M about why we should use the term "mail carriers" rather than "mail man", students rushed to deliver their Valentine's to one another. I had forgotten all about those perforated Valentine's Cards with Disney characters and what not on them. I saw a lot of Bratz (no surprise there) and Maya and Miguel (didn't expect that), but not so much Disney (how sad). The students piled cards and chocolates on Ms. M's desk as well. It's things like this that make teaching all the more appealing to me!

Overall, I found that the first observation time went well. It gave me a chance to reacclimate myself into the classroom and its routines. It was also wonderful to see the students again, as well as seeing Ms. M in action.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Gloria,

I was also surprised by how well behaved the kids were after having a full snow day and a 2 hour delay! I was really expecting the students to be wired and loud.

I agree that snow days can be rather stressful for a teacher. Readjusting the schedule to make up for lost time seems like a difficult task considering how pressed for time teachers already feel.

Great insight into your first observation of the semester!

-Alison

Christen said...

I agree with you and Alison that I was definitely impressed by how well-behaved the students were coming off of a snow day and a two-hour delay. I think this has a lot to do with how organized the teacher is, the daily routines of the classroom, and how flexible the teacher can be as well.

How fun that you got to experience Valentine's Day in the classroom too! Just another perk of being a teacher!