Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Teaching 2 (March 14, 2007)

I planned too much in the short time that I had. I feel that I often misjudge the time. When planning for lessons, I estimate how much time it will take to go through the lesson. However, I forget to plan for unexpected things. Today's unexpected things were: one of D's bad moods, K refusing to do absolutely anything until given more individual attention, talkative mood of the students, restlessness of the boys...just to name a few.

I was pressed for time because students kept straying from topic. Ms. M usually cuts them off before letting them go any further with a topic that she doesn't want to focus on for the lesson. However, I don't feel comfortable to do that. On the other hand, I'm not sure how to refocus students quickly.

I think that I'll make changes for tomorrow's lesson. Ms. M also suggested using a timer for the activity switches, which I think is a great idea. I also realize that I'll need more structure and discipline.

Which brings me to another issue. Discipline! I have the most difficult time with classroom management. I'm not sure if this is everyone, or just me. Though I do understand that it is different from a true classroom experience where I am the primary classroom teacher rather than a guest, I still feel that I need more practice. I would like to learn more about classroom management and discipline.

No comments: